#WeRunSF Training Week 2, 3 & 4

Monday, August 25, 2014

As much as i'd like to report that training is going seamlessly, unfortunately it has not. 

When I first started running before training officially started, I may have overdone it. I just jumped out there with whatever running shoes, no knee braces, nothing and went for it. When I needed to run 3 miles, I ran 4.. when I needed to run 4 miles, I ran 5.. instead of just taking it easy. And now that's coming back to bite me in the ass.
I have very flat feet and over pronate (foot rolls inwards and the arch flattens out) and have supination (Inversion is where the sole of the foot is turned inwards, plantar flexion is where the foot and toes point downwards and adduction of the ankle involves the toes pointing across the body. Combine all three movements and you have supination.) Every sole on every pair of shoes is worn out on the outside of the heel. This is a very tell-tell sign. 
via
Even in college I had a pretty bad case of illiotibial band syndrome that benched me for 6 weeks. You would like i'd learn, right? Nope.

So, what does that mean for me? PAIN. A lot of pain in both my knees and hips. Regardless of how much I stretch, do yoga, run indoors.. nothing helps.

 I've had to cut back a little on training and rehab my legs, which sucks, but has to be done. I also have to invest in a better pair of shoes. I went with Nike for shoes best fit my situation. Something with really good support, thats for damn sure. I also will be wearing my cho-pat strap forever, because im not taking any more risks.
via
Luckily this is something that can be remedied, but because I ignored the pain for so long, it has been extremely painful. I'm talking crying through 3 miles and sitting on the treadmill because I physically couldn't walk back to our apartment pain. It. Was. Awful.

So that's my little sob story. The mileage isn't the problem, my body is.

So, in the mean time, i've been cross training (biking, elliptical, and weights) getting my miles in any way I can! I also got a fancy schmancy new pair of shoes (the Nike LunarGlide 5 in turquoise.. what other color would I have chosen? hah!)
via
I slowly started running again yesterday afternoon! Felt great and NO pain! Hopefully it'll stay that way!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2015 · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs